I'm a UX Designer, so these are my UX Designer tools. (Also, there may be good things in Category: Behavior you want to read.)
User Experience Design
- Category: User Experience Design (UX) explains the definition and purpose of UX and the roles that fit into it
- Category: Design Principles explains the basic heuristics that shape design from a cognitive and gestalt point of view
- Category: Design Ethics explains how we can use the two above to not fuck up the world more than it already is and maybe even make it better
- Category: Work Ethics explains how we can be good healthy employees, managers, and independent workers
- An Interview with Andy Budd at Intercom, also known as the first place I saw the Minimum Viable Pizza.
- The ultimate guide to proper use of animation in UX by Taras Skytskyi aggregates a number of Design Principles regarding animation into one place.
- Building the Pencil Page by Jonnie Hallman explains what his thinking was and how he built Paper53's page on Pencil.
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Specification gaming examples in AI by Victoria Krakovna links to a master list of times artificial intelligence and/or machine learning went horribly wrong, generally in the field of games.
- Confs.tech is a full list of conferences in the tech industry.
See Category: Writing for tools specific to writing fiction or nonfiction of the "this is a blog post / this is a book" variety. See Category: Copywriting for nonfiction/web/UX writing, especially around plain language, voice and tone, etc.
Category: Content Strategy contains an accumulation of content strategy related tools and lessons.
- Feedback Messaging -- I've written this info for like three different companies now, time to store it.
Category: Copywriting contains an accumulation of copywriting related tools and lessons.
- Compound Interest is full of educational Category:Science and Chemistry infographics. View the Compound Interest website.
- A Quick Guide to Spotting Graphics that Lie on National Geographic
- XKCD 1138: Heatmap points out you can lie with maps too.
- Duarte's Diagrammer library contains thousands of diagrams for Powerpoint (and inspiration for everything else).
- How to Make a Dashboard That Doesn't Suck by Dylan Wilbanks explains the mindset behind most dashboards at most organizations and how you can make one that's useful.
- The Graphs section of Accessibility: Improving The UX For Color-Blind Users by Adam Silver on Smashing Magazine
- WTF Visualizations documents horrible infographics and charts.
Design Containers and Components
Page Frameworks and Layouts
See the Layouts section of Cascading Style Sheets
- How white space killed an enterprise app (and why data density matters) by Christie Lenneville and Patrick Deuley
- Building better UI Design with Layout Grids by Nick Babich on Smashing Magazine covers the basics of grids, their history, and grid theory for page layouts.
- Flexbox and Grids, your layout's best friends by Eva Ferreria at Aerolab describes using Flexbox and Grid in concert with each other for better page layouts.
Messaging and Notifications
- Category: Navigation
- Clean (Human-Readable) URLs
- Mystery Meat navigation on Wikipedia
- List of Design Systems
- The most exciting design systems are boring by Josh Clark discusses why blowing away the existing system and starting fresh may be against your best interests. "The job is not to invent, but to curate."
- Front-End Style Guides by Anna Debenham
- Team Models for Scaling a Design System by Nathan Curtis on Medium
- The Salesforce Team Model for Scaling a Design System by Jina Bolton
- Design Systems Icons by SuperFriendly for presenting design systems.
Design Visioning activities
- Product Vision by Joel Spolsky on his website
- Make the Commercial First by Steve Turbek on Boxes and Arrows
- The Pause Clause by NGenWorks discusses an entry in their contracts that essentially says if the client is more than 10 days late with a deliverable, the project goes on hold until the client responds.
Gender issues in Design
- Dear Conference Organizers: You're Doing Chairs Wrong by Rose Eveleth at Motherboard discusses how not-thinking about femme-presenting speakers and conference presenters can cause major frustrations around skirts and microphones.
- The Unbearable Pinkness of Bleeding on Metafilter
Iconography and Imagery
- A comforting lie tells the story of the background hiss you hear on digital phones, even though they don't produce the hiss.
- Proper UI Hierarchy on accssible discusses how flat interfaces damage visual hierarchy and provides some example CSS for correcting them
This category has the following 15 subcategories, out of 15 total.
Pages in category "Design"
The following 25 pages are in this category, out of 25 total.