From perpendicular angel knowledgebase
This section contains information about the act of writing, whether it's fiction or nonfiction, UX or Design or something else. For literature, poetry, etc. see Category: Reading
- I have been trying to write for a while now.... Q&A with Neil Gaiman
- Writing idea generation
- Stories we've seen too often at Strange Horizon
- Horror stories we've seen too often at Strange Horizon
- Wikipedia -- And if you're not giving money to Wikipedia for the work you're getting from Wikipedia, you're part of the problem.
- Green's Dictionary of Slang
The hard bits: the actual words
Names I've saved because I like them
Editing, Business, and Selling
- Beta Readers
- Stories from the Slush Pile
- William Shunn: Manuscript Format - for short stories
- Zen in the art of short fiction titling by John Joseph Adams, who many in the field have told me is the best titler in science fiction
- The truth about short story titles by Neil Clarke
- The top 10 most common short story names at Clarkesworld
- Self Editing 4 Fiction is 8+ articles on how to do your own editing
- Things I wish I knew before my book came out by Mallory O'Meara
- Writer Beware - a resource for keeping up with what publishers are playing fast and loose with the "rules" of good business practice.
- How to write a proper short story cover letter
- Debut Author Lessons by Mary Robinette Kowal
Tools I use
- Apple Pages
- Microsoft Word
- 750 words, which challenges you to write just 750 words a day
- LitReactor is a writing community and classroom
- Online Etymology Dictionary for all kinds of reasons
Tools I haven't tried
- After the Deadline promises to be a better spellchecker and grammar checker. I haven't tried it but it does have a demo section on the site.
- Hemingway App is a much-loved product for looking at your writing style, detecting things like weak verbs, complex words, and other things that make your writing harder to read. It includes a reading level calculator.
- Readable is another product I haven't tried, but it appears to do roughly the same things as After the Deadline and Hemingway.
- Wonderdraft is a fictional map creator.
- Worldbuilding on Stack Exchange is a social media site for world building discussions