COVID-19 History and Resources
This is my collection of COVID-19 resources, because shit, sometimes history is happening right the fuck now.
Some of this will probably disappear or become less useful as the internet ROTs but until then I've got a log.
(I've also got a journal, but it's on paper, so y'all are going to have to live without that.)
- 1 Stats
- 2 The Science
- 3 What it's like to be a medical professional right now
- 4 Social Distancing
- 5 Masks
- 6 What's still open during the quarantine
- 7 What comes next
I'm not commenting on which ones are the most reliable because frankly I don't know.
- The COVID Tracking Project
- WorldOMeter coronavirus cases
- US Coronavirus caseson The Washington Post
- Coronavirus information for Pennsylvania
- Coronavirus Map: Tracking the Global Outbreak on The New York Times
- Rt COVID-19
What is exponential growth?
Simulations of various scenarios surrounding the population and spread of the disease
- COVID CRUSH allows you to run similar simulations yourself
Is this COVID-19 or just allergies?
How the test works (in the US...)
- A New Statistic Reveals Why America’s COVID-19 Numbers Are Flat by Robinson Meyer and Alexis C. Madrigal at The Atlantic on 16 April 2020
- Coronavirus clue? Most cases aboard U.S. aircraft carrier are symptom-free by Phil Stewart and Idrees Ali on Reuters on 16 April 2020
- Having coronavirus nightmares? Here's what you can do about those bad dreams by Galadriel Watson on The Washington Post 18 May 2020
- Scientists just beginning to understand the many health problems caused by COVID-19 by Julie Steenhuysen on Reuters on 26 June 2020
- This coronavirus mutation has taken over the world. Scientists are trying to understand why. by Sarah Kaplan and Joel Achenbach on The Washington Post 29 June 2020
What it's like to be a medical professional right now
- So what's really going on here in NYC? by Dr. Craig Spencer on Twitter talks about how the NYC emergency rooms (ERs) are handling cases and deciding who gets what and how.
What it is, why it works....
- The Case for Social Distancing: Lessons from Cystic Fibrosis by Dr. Peter Gilligan on American Society for Microbiology explains how the CF community has been using social distancing to prevent the spread of Burkholderia Cepacia since the early 1980s and how it's saved lives.
- Employees, customers to be required to wear masks inside essential Pennsylvania businesses, Wolf administration orders by 6abc Action News Philadelphia 16 April 2020
Watch Philadelphia aerial drone footage of COVID-19 quarantine shelter in place, no people/traffic
- Still Confused About Masks? Here’s the Science Behind How Face Masks Prevent Coronavirus by Nina Bai at the University of California San Francisco
What's still open during the quarantine
- Meat processing plants are closing due to covid-19 outbreaks. Beef shortfalls may follow. by Laura Reiley on The Washington Post 16 April 2020
Where to order wholesale food, Philadelphia edition
Beer distributors are still open for beer, soda, ice, etc. in bulk or smaller.
- Park Towne Beverage is my local.
What comes next
- I’ve read the plans to reopen the economy. They’re scary. by Ezra Klein at Vox on April 10, 2020
Hydroxychloroquine and COVID-19
Vaccines and COVID-19
- The Technology That Could Free America From Quarantine by Derek Thompson at The Atlantic on April 7, 2020
- There's no consensus on technology's role in the COVID-19 response by Casey Newton at The Verge on April 9, 2020
- Why Bluetooth apps are bad at discovering new cases of COVID-19 by Casey Newton at The Verge
- Apple and Google want to turn your phone into a Covid-tracking machine by Adam Clark Estes and Shirin Ghaffary at recode on April 10, 2020