I'm a UX Designer, so these are my UX Designer tools. (Also, there may be good things in Category: Behavior you want to read.)
- 1 User Experience Design
- 2 Accessibility
- 3 Animation
- 4 Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- 5 Branding
- 6 Color
- 7 Conferences
- 8 Content Strategy
- 9 Data Visualization
- 10 Design Containers and Components
- 11 Design Systems
- 12 Examples
- 13 Design Visioning activities
- 14 Freelancing/Consulting
- 15 Gender issues in Design
- 17 Iconography and Imagery
- 18 Recruiting
- 19 Sound Design
- 20 Tools
- 21 Typography
- 22 User Behavior
- 23 User Research
- 24 Visual Hierarchy
User Experience Design
- Category: User Experience Design (UX) explains the definition and purpose of UX and the roles that fit into it
- Category: Design Principles explains the basic heuristics that shape design from a cognitive and gestalt point of view
- Category: Design Ethics explains how we can use the two above to not fuck up the world more than it already is and maybe even make it better
- Category: Work Ethics explains how we can be good healthy employees, managers, and independent workers
- An Interview with Andy Budd at Intercom, also known as the first place I saw the Minimum Viable Pizza.
- The ultimate guide to proper use of animation in UX by Taras Skytskyi aggregates a number of Design Principles regarding animation into one place.
- Building the Pencil Page by Jonnie Hallman explains what his thinking was and how he built Paper53's page on Pencil.
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Specification gaming examples in AI by Victoria Krakovna links to a master list of times artificial intelligence and/or machine learning went horribly wrong, generally in the field of games.
- The Three Hour Brand Sprint by GV Library (Google Ventures)
- Confs.tech is a full list of conferences in the tech industry.
See Category: Writing for writing-specific tools.
Content Management Systems
- The Battle for the Body Field by Jeff Eaton on A List Apart
- Is Rich Narrative Possible from Structured Content? by Michael Andrews
Content Quality / Content Testing
- A Simple Technique for Evaluating Content by Pete Gale at Gov.UK
Conducting a Content Audit
also known as "should you even ask that?"
- Please ditch your site's silly title dropdown by Debré Barrett
- Protecting against link rot while embracing the future by Tim Murtaugh on A List Apart
- Hitting the Content Ceiling by Robert Bills on The Pastry Box Project
Social Media content
- A Quick Guide to Spotting Graphics that Lie by National Geographic
- XKCD 1138: Heatmap points out you can lie with maps too.
- Duarte's Diagrammer library contains thousands of diagrams for Powerpoint (and inspiration for everything else).
- How to Make a Dashboard That Doesn't Suck by Dylan Wilbanks explains the mindset behind most dashboards at most organizations and how you can make one that's useful.
Design Containers and Components
Page Frameworks and Layouts
See the Layouts section of Cascading Style Sheets
Design Visioning activities
- The Pause Clause by NGenWorks discusses an entry in their contracts that essentially says if the client is more than 10 days late with a deliverable, the project goes on hold until the client responds.
Gender issues in Design
- Dear Conference Organizers: You're Doing Chairs Wrong by Rose Eveleth at Motherboard discusses how not-thinking about femme-presenting speakers and conference presenters can cause major frustrations around skirts and microphones.
- The Unbearable Pinkness of Bleeding on Metafilter
Iconography and Imagery
- A comforting lie tells the story of the background hiss you hear on digital phones, even though they don't produce the hiss.
- Proper UI Hierarchy on accssible discusses how flat interfaces damage visual hierarchy and provides some example CSS for correcting them
This category has the following 15 subcategories, out of 15 total.
Pages in category "Design"
The following 20 pages are in this category, out of 20 total.